Vegan Debate with Short Essay!

Show
  1. Graduate
    SayGoodbyeToHomework / Apr 24 2019 9.01

Hi- it's Izzy!

I don't normally post stuff like this, but I want to know what you think on vegetarianism and veganism. So, I thought I would write a short essay on it from my opinion.

My opinion (and I have researched for information) is that a vegan diet isn't recommended. To survive, we must eat meat throughout our lives. For millions of years, humans have been eating animal produce, so why should we stop now. In the UK, all eggs are from free range chickens, and all milk comes from cows who live long, happy lives. These animals produce milk and eggs anyway, so why put them to waste, when we can eat them to become healthy ourselves? Recent studies show that, without milk, your teeth can rot and fall out, and you will lack in certain vitamins. Also, vegan suitable foods are mainly flown in from places like Africa, which means that:

1) Manual labour and unfair treatment in the workplace for Africans could be increased

2) The carbon footprint from all of the food transport increases global warming.

3) To grow the food in this country to prevent the above from happening, fields must be sprayed which kills off more animals than a meat diet does.

I am so sorry if I offend you in any way with my opinion, I just want this debate to come through. I am a meat-eater, but that doesn't stop you from having your opinion! Reply to the thread with your opinion and follow this post to keep track of any new replies. (if you want to) and let the debate begin!

Stay happy, and be nice to each other,

Izzy

2. Lion
    Elle-Bee / Apr 28 2019 17.10

Hey Izzy! Great to meet you, my name's Elle. Hope you're alright!

Currently, I am a meat eater, like you.

I do agree that, meat is quite important to our diets, however only in moderation: too much red meat (like beef) has said to be a risk factor to cardiovascular disease. Yet, not enough meat means we can't get enough proteins - which are essential to create amino acids, and support muscle/tissue growth. Meat isn't the only source of this nutrient, though, which is good news for vegetarians: eggs also have protein in them too!

Furthermore on vegetarianism, it seems like a sustainable diet, since you can still have some animal products that are good for you. Certain yoghurts contains some healthy bacteria which are good for your gut, and milk provides you with vitamin D, which is essential for strengthening bones and teeth. But again, moderation is key, as some dairy products may contain some fats.

Recently, there has been backlash over meat-eaters, on the topic of climate change. Since cow excretion produces methane - a known greenhouse gas - the increasing demand for beef leads more cows to be bred, and so more methane is produced (and more land is taken up, too.). So, it is understandable why people are advocating for others to reduce the amount of meat they consume (as well as for earlier mentioned health reasons)

Though, I also agree with what you said, Izzy, about vegan produce also contributing to climate change; perhaps not to the same extent as meat-eaters, but it's still important to mention it like you did.

Overall, I think it's important that people do what's healthier for them- whether it's eating animal products or not. But, we all should be more aware of our planet regardless.

Anyways, thanks for creating the debate- wishing you all the best!

- Elle

3. Childline Avatar

Hi- it's Izzy!

I don't normally post stuff like this, but I want to know what you think on vegetarianism and veganism. So, I thought I would write a short essay on it from my opinion.

My opinion (and I have researched for information) is that a vegan diet isn't recommended. To survive, we must eat meat throughout our lives. For millions of years, humans have been eating animal produce, so why should we stop now. In the UK, all eggs are from free range chickens, and all milk comes from cows who live long, happy lives. These animals produce milk and eggs anyway, so why put them to waste, when we can eat them to become healthy ourselves? Recent studies show that, without milk, your teeth can rot and fall out, and you will lack in certain vitamins. Also, vegan suitable foods are mainly flown in from places like Africa, which means that:

1) Manual labour and unfair treatment in the workplace for Africans could be increased

2) The carbon footprint from all of the food transport increases global warming.

3) To grow the food in this country to prevent the above from happening, fields must be sprayed which kills off more animals than a meat diet does.

I am so sorry if I offend you in any way with my opinion, I just want this debate to come through. I am a meat-eater, but that doesn't stop you from having your opinion! Reply to the thread with your opinion and follow this post to keep track of any new replies. (if you want to) and let the debate begin!

Izzy

Temporary12116721 / May 02 2019 7.21

Hi,

I just wanted to comment on how I think that meat is fine to eat. My only problem these days is that we don’t know where it has come from. I believe that we should buy local products to help our community and and also it helps prevent excessive amounts pf global warming as we are not having to fly products over (though this is more the topic of vegan).

I am a vegetarian so wanted to add a non meat eater perspective. I am purely vegetarian for the fact I don’t want to kill animals. I manage to get my protien from the large amount of nuts I eat and also eggs.

Thank you for posting this. It is my first time posting and has been fun.

4. Graduate
    SayGoodbyeToHomework / May 03 2019 20.58

Wow, these are such reasonable responses!

5. Spiralling
    i-am-invisible / May 16 2019 23.02

Hi!

I am Bea; and i am vegan

I think its really great that you started this debate! nice to meet you all :) i do not mean to offend anyone with my opinions and i respect everyones views! xxx

i personally dont think we should eat meat. i have never eaten it in my life- i was a vegetarian for 12 1/2 years and then about 5 or 6 months ago i turned vegan. ive never had any defiency problems and i am around 5 ft 10 (at age 13) so it definirely hasnt stunted my growth πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’–πŸ’–

there r many reasons why i think it is wrong to eat meat, and here are some:

It is cruel and unnecceassary

- its simple- we are killing creatures for our food and stripping them of a life- just for a luxury. we no longer need to eat meat. in history people would hunt their food and eat it but now animals are being farmed, taken from their natural habitat and subjected to all kinds of horrible things. e.g- did you know that plenty of male chicks are shredded around 6 days after birth and made into chicken pellets and fed to the female chickens? or that 56 billion land animals are killed per year? or that too many sea creatures are killed per yrar to even be measured? or that the average meat eater eats around 7,000 animals in their life time?

and whilst intensive farming means animals are pumped wirh hormones, seperated from their parents, caged in small enclosures and have clamps etc to force milk from them, i do know there are good farms

plenty of my best friends live on farms and their anumals are free range and organic and this is so much better! i encourage that if u do eat meat then you eat it from these places.

but, is there such thing as a good farm when it means that the animal is still going to be slaughtered in the end?is it necessary for animals to have to suffer if we dont need them to?

6. Spiralling
    i-am-invisible / May 16 2019 23.13

hi! i ran out of space on my last reply πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’–πŸ’– i really dont mean to offend anyone and i very sorry if i do!

another reason why i dont thibk we should eat meat is that it isnt even beneficial to us. eating meat is proven to raise our cholestral, increase risk of heart disease and cancer and can also make you gain excess weight. whilst their can be risks of iron defincency or protein defincy etc when you are vegan or vegetarian, i have never had to deal with these things as they are easily managed- you just make sure you get enough from foods like lentils and nuts and tofu and corn and spinach and kale and seeds and quinoa etc.

also, farming is a massive contributer to global warming. someone mentioned it already but the amount of methane gas produced is very high, not to mention the air miles from grass seeds or meat transportation. when it comes to carbon emissions, a recent study shows that the farming industry is set to match the fossil fuel industry.

aswell, by taking milk and eggs from these animals we are stripping them of natural rescources. cows produce milk to feed their calves; just like people breastfeed to feed their babies. and the eggs chickens lay would decompose if we left them their and then the chickens would eat te egg shells and regai neccessy nutrients- which they are at the moment bejng fed unnatually.

anyway thats just my opinion!! sorry its so long (and took up two posts πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’–πŸ’–)

i just want to say again that all of your opinions are valid and i respect them completely!

take care, Bea xx

7. Lion
    i-am-invisible / May 16 2019 23.13

hi! i ran out of space on my last reply πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’–πŸ’– i really dont mean to offend anyone and i very sorry if i do!

another reason why i dont thibk we should eat meat is that it isnt even beneficial to us. eating meat is proven to raise our cholestral, increase risk of heart disease and cancer and can also make you gain excess weight. whilst their can be risks of iron defincency or protein defincy etc when you are vegan or vegetarian, i have never had to deal with these things as they are easily managed- you just make sure you get enough from foods like lentils and nuts and tofu and corn and spinach and kale and seeds and quinoa etc.

also, farming is a massive contributer to global warming. someone mentioned it already but the amount of methane gas produced is very high, not to mention the air miles from grass seeds or meat transportation. when it comes to carbon emissions, a recent study shows that the farming industry is set to match the fossil fuel industry.

aswell, by taking milk and eggs from these animals we are stripping them of natural rescources. cows produce milk to feed their calves; just like people breastfeed to feed their babies. and the eggs chickens lay would decompose if we left them their and then the chickens would eat te egg shells and regai neccessy nutrients- which they are at the moment bejng fed unnatually.

anyway thats just my opinion!! sorry its so long (and took up two posts πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’–πŸ’–)

i just want to say again that all of your opinions are valid and i respect them completely!

take care, Bea xx

Elle-Bee / May 19 2019 14.05

Hey Bea! It was great to hear your perspective of this situation too. Your opinions are equally valid as well, and I respect them too.

I'm glad that you brought up how veganism / vegetarianism actually doesn't lead to deficiencies - It cleared up a lot of things which I was unsure about. So, thanks for sharing that with us!

I personally want to go vegetarian when I'm older. Like you mentioned, there are other alternatives to meat which still mean I can get protein!

What I want to know is, what's your favourite vegan meal? And is it easy to cook - if so, then I may try it some time!

Take care as well!

- Elle

8. Headphones
    helpfulpersonithink / May 20 2019 1.33

if we dont eat animals there will be no need to farm them, so then there wouldnt be any animals which we eat which would leave a big gap in the food chain.

9. Sheep

Hi- it's Izzy!

Izzy

Ukuele / Jun 03 2019 23.33

Hi,

Your teeth will not fall out on a vegan diet, you can still get calcium from others sources.

Eating meat is perfectly fine; but not in the huge volumes that it is consumed in now.

As a nation we eat way to much saturated fat, and a large majority of this comes from meat.

We need to eat less meat - but eating some meat is still good for you.

If you eat a balanced vegan diet then you should get all the nutrients you need except from vitiman B12. This is because it has been washed out of our soils from the over farming of animals.

If you think that vegan foods have a larger carbon foot print than the animal product industry then you haven’t done your research.

Most of the pesticides are used on crops which are used for animal feeds.

Some people do not choose to be veggie or vegan; many health conditions can cause people not to be able to digest meat. Other people with algeries find it easer to be vegan; becuase the list of what they can eat is so long; vegan options give ; for example ; dariy free people more options.

10. Sheep

Hey Bea! It was great to hear your perspective of this situation too. Your opinions are equally valid as well, and I respect them too.

I'm glad that you brought up how veganism / vegetarianism actually doesn't lead to deficiencies - It cleared up a lot of things which I was unsure about. So, thanks for sharing that with us!

I personally want to go vegetarian when I'm older. Like you mentioned, there are other alternatives to meat which still mean I can get protein!

What I want to know is, what's your favourite vegan meal? And is it easy to cook - if so, then I may try it some time!

Take care as well!

- Elle

Ukuele / Jun 03 2019 23.35

On Madeline Olivia’s website there is an amazing tofu nugget recipe.

There are also loads of chickpea curry’s which are amazing

11. Spiralling

Take care as well!

- Elle

i-am-invisible / Jul 28 2019 16.15

hey elle!

sorry, my reply is kinda late! how is everyone?

that's cool! i dont have a favourite but there a couple! if you're looking for an easy one then something like vegetable stir fry is good. vegan shepards pie is also rly tasty! (these both have everything u need in them! yeast flakes contain B12 which like someone said is harder to get and they can add flavour so stirring them in is gd!) other good recipes are green riscotto or baked potato with hummus and salad. lentil pasta and falafel wrap are also good! i guess you can see theres not rly one favourite- if any of these seem like u might like them then i can post the recipes! they are all fairly easy- the riscotto or falafel wrap (if u make the falafels urself- tho y can buy them and they are quite cheap) are probably the most difficult.

hope everyone's well, and has a good summer.

~ bea xoxo take care!

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything