Childline's info on and support with social media

Show
  1. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Nov 01 2019 12.31

Hi everyone,

We know that social media can play a really big part in your lives and that lots of you use it every day.  We always want to have info and advice that will help when you need it and we also wanted to try to find out a bit more about how social media can make you feel.

So, can social media make you feel different things depending on what it’s maybe used for?  Maybe some of you find that it helps you in some way while others might find it a difficult place to be.  What do you all think?

What do you think when adults maybe talk about the time being spent on social media – does being on for longer or shorter times make a difference?  Do you think about screen time?

There can be lots of news and info on social media but sometimes, it might not all be true.  Is that something you think or worry about?

And are there some things about social media you’d like to have Childline talk more about?  We have info on staying safe online but we’d love to hear what advice you can be looking for and to know more about your thoughts!

You don't have to answer everything and you can add anything else in as well - it's about what you'd all like to say!

Thanks!

Jas-Host

2. Reaching out

Hi everyone,

We know that social media can play a really big part in your lives and that lots of you use it every day.  We always want to have info and advice that will help when you need it and we also wanted to try to find out a bit more about how social media can make you feel.

So, can social media make you feel different things depending on what it’s maybe used for?  Maybe some of you find that it helps you in some way while others might find it a difficult place to be.  What do you all think?

What do you think when adults maybe talk about the time being spent on social media – does being on for longer or shorter times make a difference?  Do you think about screen time?

There can be lots of news and info on social media but sometimes, it might not all be true.  Is that something you think or worry about?

And are there some things about social media you’d like to have Childline talk more about?  We have info on staying safe online but we’d love to hear what advice you can be looking for and to know more about your thoughts!

You don't have to answer everything and you can add anything else in as well - it's about what you'd all like to say!

Thanks!

Jas-Host

jenni21 / Nov 01 2019 14.58

Hi,

well basically i think social media is a good and bad things like for example having social media you could stay in touch with friends and family who you dont see all of the time

but then social media impacts on how we see our selfs cause we want to look like everyone else and we feel like we have to be pretty to be like everyone else i feel like its one of the most causes why we dont like ourself and its easier to get bullied on social media as well as if someone comments on our picture saying horrible things then everyone else joins in

using social media less might help how we feel about social media it really depends as it hard to not go on social media and the information on social media is really overwhelming

i feel like people should talk more how social media could really effect people and about how we see ourself

3. Childline Avatar
    Isabellas / Nov 08 2019 21.00

hi all

I actually don't have social media apart from WhatsApp.Not having things like snapchat,tiktok and Instagram etc has definitely impacted in good ways and bad ways.

Its good because i feel like then i won't be as exposed to things on it like fake news,body image and bad people.I've always struggled with posting images on my WhatsApp status and giving people photos as i always worry i don't look good in them.So not having the issue of doing that on social media makes it easier

Its bad because I feel like i can't connect with other people and slightly embarassed that i don't

bye

4. Bursting

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Jas-Host

CoquiSong / Nov 25 2019 15.34

I like some aspects of social media as it helps lgbt+ people feel there are more people out there than you would see if you just stuck to your school friends and people from your town. I like to follow youtubers on instagram but i dont much bother with twitter, whatsapp for me is church/school/music related so more a messaging thing with people in my life. I havent got tiktok or bothered with it but i do have snapchat that i dont look anymore.

I have found that if we follow the wrong accounts we get the wrong influences but there is a lot of wholesome and still entertaining positive content. Some people post a lot, some people are on it a lot, it doesnt matter to me. there are wonderful body positive instagramers and if you are following a good mixture of people you get a good mixture of content. My instagram on an average day would have dogs, vegan food, celebs i follow, animal charities, sports posts... youtubers, when i do post its places i go to, music related or food 😅 the trick i think with everything is to find what YOU like and stay true to this, dont take on what others like to be popular thats where problems start, but that said following the things that others like is fine so we arent left out but dont forget to balance that with all the things we like so we get the balance of content.

i must also admit that instagram helped me make my room and parts of the house where I have a say look amazing as i did think would i photograph well there? 😅 if that is sad maybe im sad but it is a positive thing to have made my home look instagramworthy 😂

5. Reaching out
    jenni21 / Nov 01 2019 14.58

Hi,

well basically i think social media is a good and bad things like for example having social media you could stay in touch with friends and family who you dont see all of the time

but then social media impacts on how we see our selfs cause we want to look like everyone else and we feel like we have to be pretty to be like everyone else i feel like its one of the most causes why we dont like ourself and its easier to get bullied on social media as well as if someone comments on our picture saying horrible things then everyone else joins in

using social media less might help how we feel about social media it really depends as it hard to not go on social media and the information on social media is really overwhelming

i feel like people should talk more how social media could really effect people and about how we see ourself

Jas-Host / Nov 26 2019 18.35

Hi jenni21,

Thanks for this. It's a really good point that it can have good and bad elements, which can be really true for lots of different things but talking about the effects is a great idea to help everyone to have more of a balance as well as to show what it can be like to read horrible comments online. Do you think it would also help for people to have more conversations about things like when images are filtered and edited?

Take care,

Jas-Host

6. Reaching out
    Isabellas / Nov 08 2019 21.00

hi all

I actually don't have social media apart from WhatsApp.Not having things like snapchat,tiktok and Instagram etc has definitely impacted in good ways and bad ways.

Its good because i feel like then i won't be as exposed to things on it like fake news,body image and bad people.I've always struggled with posting images on my WhatsApp status and giving people photos as i always worry i don't look good in them.So not having the issue of doing that on social media makes it easier

Its bad because I feel like i can't connect with other people and slightly embarassed that i don't

bye

Jas-Host / Nov 26 2019 18.41

Hi Isabellas,

Thank you for writing this. Not having that pressure sounds like it does help but we know that connecting can play a big part today. Have you found different ways to maybe do this but ones that work for you, so that you aren't exposed to the things you've mentioned here?

Take care,

Jas-Host

7. Reaching out
    CoquiSong / Nov 25 2019 15.34

I like some aspects of social media as it helps lgbt+ people feel there are more people out there than you would see if you just stuck to your school friends and people from your town. I like to follow youtubers on instagram but i dont much bother with twitter, whatsapp for me is church/school/music related so more a messaging thing with people in my life. I havent got tiktok or bothered with it but i do have snapchat that i dont look anymore.

I have found that if we follow the wrong accounts we get the wrong influences but there is a lot of wholesome and still entertaining positive content. Some people post a lot, some people are on it a lot, it doesnt matter to me. there are wonderful body positive instagramers and if you are following a good mixture of people you get a good mixture of content. My instagram on an average day would have dogs, vegan food, celebs i follow, animal charities, sports posts... youtubers, when i do post its places i go to, music related or food 😅 the trick i think with everything is to find what YOU like and stay true to this, dont take on what others like to be popular thats where problems start, but that said following the things that others like is fine so we arent left out but dont forget to balance that with all the things we like so we get the balance of content.

i must also admit that instagram helped me make my room and parts of the house where I have a say look amazing as i did think would i photograph well there? 😅 if that is sad maybe im sad but it is a positive thing to have made my home look instagramworthy 😂

Jas-Host / Nov 26 2019 18.54

Hi CoquiSong,

It sounds that you've been able to use a lot of social media for really positive purposes which is great to hear! How do you think we can all help others to find out about things that interest them, that are relevant to them but in places that are also safe? And to find their way to this content when there is so much and it can be hard to know what is true, what is correct info and what is real?

But your post shows the real benefit of social media too - a place to see people like you and to find the things you like. And to make your home look the way you want it (definitely not sad!)!

Thanks for sharing this balance with us all!

Take care,

Jas-Host

8. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Nov 26 2019 18.35

Hi jenni21,

Thanks for this. It's a really good point that it can have good and bad elements, which can be really true for lots of different things but talking about the effects is a great idea to help everyone to have more of a balance as well as to show what it can be like to read horrible comments online. Do you think it would also help for people to have more conversations about things like when images are filtered and edited?

Take care,

Jas-Host

jenni21 / Dec 10 2019 17.09

Hi,

yeh maybe it will help people more about things like when images filtered and edited.

for me i think alot of pictures on social media is edited and filtered not all of them but most of them are. but then not everyone thinks of it being edited so if people spoke more about it then maybe for us we wouldn't have to feel ashamed how we look compared to social media as me personally im always thinking about how i look cause of these pictures on our social media accounts so we always feel like we have to look like them when we dont. i just think it would be a good idea if someone talked about it so we could understand more

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything