Contacting Childline

You can talk to us about anything. No problem is too big or too small.

Call us free on 0800 1111 or get in touch online. However you choose to contact us, you're in control. It’s confidential and you don’t have to give your name if you don’t want to.

What it's like to get in touch

When you call us on 0800 1111 you’ll come through to our switchboard. This is where someone friendly will ask if you want to speak to a counsellor. If you log in for a 1-2-1 counsellor chat online, you might wait a little while before being connected with a counsellor. You can also send us an email from your locker.

Did you know?

If you're an O2 customer, using our 1-2-1 counsellor chat won't use up your data or credit!

contacting us at night

There's a slightly different service between midnight and 7.30 in the morning. We have fewer counsellors during these hours compared to the day.

When you get through to a counsellor at night, you might be asked a few questions about your safety like where you are and if you feel someone might harm you or if you might harm yourself.

We do this to make sure that if you feel unsafe or at risk, we’re available to talk to you immediately.

Deaf service and sign video

If you are d(D)eaf or hard of hearing, you can get support from Childline in lots of ways. And you can talk to us about anything.

Contact a counsellor

If you have a webcam, you can use Sign Video to speak to a counsellor in British Sign Language (BSL). Sign Video is available from 9am to 6pm, Monday-Friday.

  • download Sign Video and click "install"
  • when you're connected, an interpreter will appear on your screen
  • the interpreter will translate what you say to a counsellor and tell you what the counsellor says in BSL.

Speaking to Childline in other languages

We know that lots of young people live in the UK but might not speak English. We want to support all young people but we can only offer counselling in English.

If English isn't your first language or you don't feel comfortable speaking English, you could try logging in for a 1-2-1 counsellor chat online and use the Art box to help you explain how you feel.

Contacting us in Welsh / ChildLine ar gyfer pobl ifanc sy’n siarad Cymraeg

We don't offer a full Welsh speaking counselling service. But we do have some Welsh speaking counsellors. If you contact us (by phone or online) and let us know you'd like to talk to someone in Welsh we can arrange a time for you to speak to a Welsh speaking counsellor. 

Need help but you're not in the UK?

Childline is a UK charity and we only have counsellors in this country. This means we can only support young people in the UK. And only young people in the UK can sign up for an account and use the 1-2-1 counsellor chat, email and message boards on our site.

But all young people can read our advice and use the rest of our site.

You can check out Child Helpline International for places in your country which might be able to help.

Got cut off or had to go?

If you get cut off or need to end a call or chat suddenly, you can call back or log in for another 1-2-1 counselor chat. It helps to let the counsellor know you got cut off before. If you were talking about something serious like getting help with self-harm or suicidal thoughts, it’s important to let the counsellor know if you feel safe or not. If you need urgent help you can always call 999.